Thursday, January 7, 2010

From the Samoa Observer Newspaper

A book to remember…
Wednesday, 06 January 2010 09:46
Lani Wendt-Young ... privileged to write the book.
A book about different experiences during and after the tsunami is being written.
Scheduled to be released on the first anniversary of the tragedy in September, Associate Minister of Commerce, Hans Joachim Keil has commissioned award-winning writer, Lani Wendt to put it together.
“It is not a documentary type book with straight retelling of facts but rather the weaving together of different people’s experiences,” said Ms Wendt.

The niece of iconic Samoan poet, Albert Wendt said Mr Keil, who was deeply touched by the tragedy of 143 people killed, wants the book to remember the stories of the tsunami not just from the victims' perspective but also from people who helped.

The book, with a name yet to be decided, will contain interviews from victims, medical officials, fire and rescue workers, relief team workers, Disaster Management Office staff members and more.

It will also include statements from American Samoa, Tonga, Niuatoputapu and other islands affected.
“We go out three times a week to do interviews and we record as we go,” Ms Wendt said.

“There are a lot of great stories out there and I’m working to put them in the book.”
Ms Wendt, who has been working on the project for two months, said she is interested in how the tsunami has affected people not only as individuals but as a community.
The 36-year-old is married to Darren Young. They have five children.

“Writing has always been my passion,” she said.
Her education started in Samoa. She finished high school in Washington DC, before studying English Literature and Women’s Studies at Victoria University, Wellington.
Later, she studied for a diploma in Teaching at Wellington’s College of Education.

She returned to Samoa where she became an English teacher at Samoa College, Pesega Church College and Robert Louis Stevenson School.
Her writing career was launched when the National University of Samoa initiated a short story competition. She won.
“That’s when I thought; I am good at this and should carry on,” she laughed.

Since then, her work has been published in collections out of New Zealand, Australia and Samoa. Her fiction for children has been published in the School Journal Series in New Zealand.
“I also write articles for the newspaper occasionally,” she said. “And of course I have a blog/website like most other writers!”

Ms Wendt is hoping her uncle, Albert Wendt, can help out.
“Hopefully he is able to pre-read some of the chapters and give me some advice.” she said. “(Writing) runs in the family.”
“It is a privilege to be involved in this project,” Ms Wendt said.

“Mr Keil is to be commended for his vision, and commitment to ensuring that people’s stories are preserved. I am grateful for all those who have been willing to share their stories with me and I hope that this book will adequately honour their strength and resilience.”
The book is a non-profit project, Mr Keil said. All proceeds will go to the tsunami relief funds.

“The book will be affordable to everyone, as many were affected by it. We want everyone to read it,” said Mr Keil.
“This incident is a once in a life time experience.”

8 comments:

http://abebedorespgondufo.blogs.sapo.pt/ said...

Happy New year 2010.
Portugal

Anonymous said...

Kia ora Lani,

I've read a couple of your columns in your blog and just want to wish you all the best for writing this book to share the stories of the people who lived through the Tsunami - kia kaha!

Maata (Auckland, NZ)

EVIKTA said...

Talofa Coconut Queen

1st Time I've heard of you and I'm sure it won't be the last. Read your short article on the NZ Herald this morning.

Look forward to the publication of your book. Sounds interesting and I await with anticipation..

This will be great reading on the effects that the Tsunami had on the lives of many people whose families perished and also survivors.

All the best with your research and work.

EVIKTA

Jose Borrero said...

Talofa Lani,

I read about your book project in the NZ Herald this morning. It sounds very interesting. I am a tsunami researcher/oceanographer currently based in New Zealand (but I split time between Aotearoa and Los Angeles). I was in American Samoa and Samoa shortly after the September tsunami conducting field research on the physical effects of the tsunami (size, extent of flooding etc). I also gathered a bunch of witness and survivor interviews on video. Please contact me if you are interested in some more technical information on the event or on tsunamis in general. I would also like to put you in touch with other researchers for whom your work would be very interesting and valuable for their disaster and risk reduction efforts.

Sincerely,

-jose

Jose C. Borrero
jborrero@usc.edu

ASR Limited
Raglan, New Zealand

Univ. of Southern California
Tsunami Research Center
Los Angeles, CA

Anonymous said...

Aloha Lani;

I would be very interested in reading your book on the account of the Tsunami in Samoa. I am a nurse here in Hawaii and my deceased Dad is one of Albert Wendt's cousins.
I regret that I never took time out to see Dr. Wendt while here at the University of Hawaii. He was also my History instructor in Samoa College in 1969 before I left for the U.S.
I pray that your book will help the people of Samoa process their grief and bring healing to so much past pain. God Bless.

Soifua,
Ms. E. Hvidding (Honolulu)
Maiden name: E. Kirifi Saseve.

Anonymous said...

Aloha Lani;

I would be very interested in reading your book on the account of the Tsunami in Samoa. I am a nurse here in Hawaii and my deceased Dad is one of Albert Wendt's cousins.
I regret that I never took time out to see Dr. Wendt while here at the University of Hawaii. He was also my History instructor in Samoa College in 1969 before I left for the U.S.
I pray that your book will help the people of Samoa process their grief and bring healing to so much past pain. God Bless.

Soifua,
Ms. E. Hvidding (Honolulu)
Maiden name: E. Kirifi Saseve.

Anonymous said...

Aloha Lani;

I would be very interested in reading your book on the account of the Tsunami in Samoa. I am a nurse here in Hawaii and my deceased Dad is one of Albert Wendt's cousins.
I regret that I never took time out to see Dr. Wendt while here at the University of Hawaii. He was also my History instructor in Samoa College in 1969 before I left for the U.S.
I pray that your book will help the people of Samoa process their grief and bring healing to so much past pain. God Bless.

Soifua,
Ms. E. Hvidding (Honolulu)
Maiden name: E. Kirifi Saseve.

Emile Grey said...

I am very moved by what I have read so far on your Blog page. My wife, myself and 4 daughters were on Holiday in Samoa and 1 year to the date we were there with the Taufua Aiga. This isn't about us, it's about the memories my daughters carry, the smiles and people we met and how in a space of 12 months our memories all that we have... God please Bless those left behind !!